Skip to content

Desktop version (Windows/Linux/Mac) of Task Coach

Welcome to the Task Coach feedback forum. This forum is for the desktop (Windows/Linux/Mac OS X) version of Task Coach. Please stick to basic operation of the program itself. Requests that require the implementation of technology outside of the main program go in the “Other feature request” section.

Desktop version (Windows/Linux/Mac) of Task Coach

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

370 results found

1. I found a similar suggestion was made but closed as being too vague. Sorry I too am vague -- but I do not know how the feature I would like should be implemented as I don't know what is available. I can only describe problem and hope it makes sense to solve it?

I use the 'same' tasklist file on on three Windows PCs - two desktop machines and one netbook. I tried using one copy on USB stick but I do not have ready access to USB ports on one of the machines, making that method difficult.

My problem…

240 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is functionally a duplicate of the most popular request:
    http://taskcoach.uservoice.com/forums/26465-desktop-version-windows-linux-mac-of-task-coach/suggestions/288999-enable-multi-user-task-management-

That request is already underway. Multi-user in this case could be multiple desktops run by the same person.
    As development continues, the feature can be tested from the prerelease:
    http://www.fraca7.net/TaskCoach-packages/latest_features.py

Otherwise, any cloud service can already work with the current full release, you just can’t have more than one desktop using the file at the same time. So DropBox or Ubuntu One etc. are all you need. Or for the most control, run your own server with OwnCloud (http://owncloud.org/)

2. The .tsk file is uploaded to (downloaded from) FTP server each time it is opened (closed) if needed. The FTP parameters are indicated in the preferences.
    So I can do my jobs at work and find an updated TC list at home or wherever I am, update it and find it updated the next time I'm at work.

110 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

While this is a reasonable request, we suggest that users who want to have full control (not rely on third-parties like DropBox or Ubuntu One) run the FLOSS software OwnCloud on your own server (http://owncloud.org/)

If anyone still wants to contribute a patch to handle FTP stuff otherwise, it would be welcomed.

3. Autosave Function: Unless I missed something I can only choose between immediate save (slow) or manual (unsave). To have an option to automatically save my work (let's say every ten minutes) would be great!

68 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Just a note to everyone: recent updates have greatly improved the efficiency of the saving process and reduced the amount of auto-saving so there is less waste and less slowness. So we are closing this request.

Thanks,
    Aaron

4. Task plans are sometimes very confidential. Is it possible to automatically store the task file with encryption? This would ensure the content is safe independent of who administrates the file system, backups and so on.

65 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are a two reasons why I don’t want to implement this:
    1. Many people using Task Coach are computer novices. I know some of these people are going to forget their passphrase (or don’t even realize they have encrypted their task file at all) and blame Task Coach (or us) for losing their data.
    2. People that really need it can use other options to store their task file encrypted, such as a TrueCrypt volume.

Cheers, Frank

5. The Description of a task should be shown as preview text below the task entry and not as separate column (optional). The same goes for notes. Or as incorporate a complete preview pane below the tree, as already mentioned.

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m closing this because it really is just a duplication of these more popular requests:

https://taskcoach.uservoice.com/forums/26465-desktop-version-windows-linux-mac-of-task-coach/suggestions/466618-adding-an-edit-viewer

http://taskcoach.uservoice.com/forums/26465-desktop-version-windows-linux-mac-of-task-coach/suggestions/293262-task-notes-pane

Please consider moving your votes to those. We will not be separately considering the request here. Those other requests are the way this will be implemented.
    Thanks

6. It happens quite often, I leave of switch off my computer and TaskCoach keeps running.
    An Idle detection would be great in such cases. If the idle time is passed, I would like the following choises:

1. Keep on tracking the task (including the idle time)
    2. Keep on tracking the task from now on
    3. Stop tracking
    4. Select another task

Thanks in advance!
    Gábor

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Really minor, but I'd like to be able to import custom icons for categories, and I can't seem to find a way to do that at the moment.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. It would be good to be able to use tags. It is an easy way to mark up the information, making it easy to use the search function.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Hi,

If you use a tasks file in a central place, and add attachments, these attachments can't be shared by other users of the same tasks file.

Regards,
    Kobi

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Text formatting features (bold, underlined, color, ..) helps to have better overview in complex descriptions

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I would like to put a picture in the description of tasks via clipboard; strg-c + strg-v.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. There should be a way to skip a single task, and also a way to skip all missed occurrences of a task up to the present time.

I often have tasks that would be ideal to do daily, but are low priority. If I miss a week's worth, it is inconvenient to go back and mark them
    as completed one at a time so that the task isn't overdue.

Here's the original poster's idea, which i completely agree with:
    On weekly recurring taks like a meeting I would like to habe the option to skip this task instead of marking…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Consider voting for this other request: http://taskcoach.uservoice.com/forums/26465-desktop-version-windows-linux-mac-of-task-coach/suggestions/1145153-mark-task-as-cancelled-?ref=title

Otherwise, to skip recurring tasks, you can just mark them complete and they won’t stay complete, they will be set instead to recur. I use a composite task called “daily” and put all my daily stuff in there, and whether or not I did everything, when I mark “daily” itself done, the whole set recurs as I want for the next day. (note that this setup has only the composite task set to recur, and that makes the subtasks recur automatically, as long as the subtasks have planned start times set)

13. Adding a tasks archive, it could be a "category type" regular\archive. but the default functionality of an archive category will be not to show tasks by default unless marked.

This could be useful, even for to-do lists that their start date are so far that you don't want them clouding the list for now.

Another way this could be useful, is when you want to check if a task is already done, and when it were completed. Especially when there is more than one person marking and adding tasks.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This request is mixing several ideas.

One idea is a “someday/maybe” category which is separate from just inactive unplanned tasks. Personally, I just use priority to lower certain unplanned tasks in the inactive tasks list. But you can just make a “someday/maybe” category, and you could hide it if this other request is implemented:
    http://taskcoach.uservoice.com/forums/26465-desktop-version-windows-linux-mac-of-task-coach/suggestions/563259-show-all-but-selected-categories

Another issue brought up in this request is hiding tasks with far off planned dates. I like that idea a lot, and there is already a request to filter by date range:
    http://taskcoach.uservoice.com/forums/26465-desktop-version-windows-linux-mac-of-task-coach/suggestions/342012-filter-tasks-and-efforts-by-date-range

To see tasks that are completed, you can already show completed tasks, and these can be filtered by category and sorted by completion date.

To otherwise handle this archive idea, you could either make an “archive” category (which would also go with the request above to hide select categories), or you could export the tasks to a different .tsk file. See my…

14. The attachment isn't really an attachment, but rather a pointer to a file that lives somewhere else on my system. If I remove the file at it's "source" location, the "attachment" no longer exists. I'd like to be able to attach the file to Task Coach and let it live there so I don't have to keep the file on my desktop or in a documents folder of some sort.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I have many tasks (100+) in TC, since new Update is openinng of any task is extremly slow (about 30 sec.).

I think it's a problem in building a view of prerequisites-tab.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I have tasks which are recurring eg.: monthly on the last or before the last workday. Right now the recurrence is day number based, so it would be nice to have more abstract options as in my example.
    So possibility to count from the end of months/years, take consideration workdays/weekends as option to count (I have seen a feature request for that already).
    more detailed examples:
    a.) first tuesday or thursday or the month(quarter/year), which is at least the fourth workday of the month(quarter/year)
    b.) the n-th (work)day before the last (work)day of the month(quarter/year)
    c.) 15th of a month…

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When pasting text from external program (e.g. MS-Word) to TaskCoach text may contain formatting information. For example text can contain captions which are in large font. This formatting will come into Task, Note and Category description field. Very often it is preferred not to contain those formattings. At least there could be pop-up menu (mouse left button usage) which could contain: "Paste" and "Paste as text". Default behaviour should be: "Paste as text". Copying and pasting text from description field in TaskCoach contains also formatting information: the text is very small font. Usually target application contains Edit -> Paste Special…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This request is more of a bug, although it isn’t a real issue.

TC does not actually store text formatting at all. So even though when you paste, the text looks formatted, the format is not saved. When you return to the text later, it will just be plain text that matches the settings for TC overall or for that task’s appearance settings.

There is a request for TC to handle formatting (i.e. rich text), and you might want to vote for it:
    http://taskcoach.uservoice.com/forums/26465-desktop-version-windows-linux-mac-of-task-coach/suggestions/1785519-notes-other-panes-support-rich-text

Along with rich-text support, I would hope that Task Coach would include a common feature in most text programs: “paste and match style”
    That would avoid the concern you have here. Also, when copying text out of TC into some other program, that command is what you should use if you want to ignore the text format from TC.

18. I'd like to edit tasks without double clicking on each. And it would be nice to quickly see the full details of any selected task.

it should be possible to handle the "task editor panel" as a 'view' (such as 'notes', 'categories' ...). Then its content updates according to selected task.

Obviously, the editor should update to follow whatever task is selected in the task viewer.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When a non-recurrent task is completed, it is left in the list and calendar as a record. But when a recurring task is completed, its dates are automatically changed according to the recurrence settings, and there is no record of what action was taken when.
    For example, I must change change my car's oil every year, and i want to keep record of when it was done over the years. There could be a checkbox in the task's Recurrence block to set a "Duplicate task when completed" property.
    Thank you, Florian

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I thought it would be cool to have addon availability for things like syncing to calendars (google, or sunbird, etc)

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Indeed, the comment below is correct. This has been duplicated. I’d like to have left THIS open because it is older, but I’m closing it in favor of the other request because the other has more votes.

PLEASE MOVE YOUR VOTES HERE:
    http://taskcoach.uservoice.com/forums/26465-desktop-version-windows-linux-mac-of-task-coach/suggestions/1964563-plugin-based-design-scripts-scriptable-options

It is unfortunate that the gratis version of UserVoice doesn’t allow merging.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?