Skip to content

Desktop version (Windows/Linux/Mac) of Task Coach

Welcome to the Task Coach feedback forum. This forum is for the desktop (Windows/Linux/Mac OS X) version of Task Coach. Please stick to basic operation of the program itself. Requests that require the implementation of technology outside of the main program go in the “Other feature request” section.

Desktop version (Windows/Linux/Mac) of Task Coach

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

8 results found

1. Being able to re-arrange the displayed columns with a simple drag & drop would be a good feature. Then you could prioritize the columns that are most important to you.

462 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Re-arranging the order of columns by drag and drop is one of the most requested features for Task Coach. As you may know, our small development team struggles with finding enough time to maintain Task Coach, support users (which we do for free) and develop new features.

We attempted a fundraiser to hire an outside developer to program the feature for us, but the fundraiser was not successful. It was just a test and there are many reasons it could have gone better. We are aware of and are exploring alternative fundraising options in general.

The reason this particular feature is expensive is that it needs change in the underlying wxWidgets framework that we use and needs an outside developer. But there is a lower-cost easy alternative to customizing column order and we will probably implement it soon: we could use the same interface we currently use for customizable toolbars.…

2. I would like the ability to retain a completed task record for tasks that are recurring. Currently, when I complete a recurring task, the task is reset to the next due date which is great, just what I need. But I would also like to see a record of that task as a completed task. For example, I have a task call Monthly Financials for a client. It would be nice to see the historical records of when this task was completed.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Note: I already have marked this in our plans, but not sure when we’ll get to it. There are many related requests already, notably:

http://taskcoach.uservoice.com/forums/26465-desktop-version-windows-linux-mac-of-task-coach/suggestions/3628890-retain-completed-task-history-for-recurring-tasks

https://taskcoach.uservoice.com/forums/26465-desktop-version-windows-linux-mac-of-task-coach/suggestions/1551061-calender-view-show-completed-re-occuring-tasks

I’m keeping this open as your request is most clearly in line with what I want us to do.

Cheers,
    Aaron

3. Add a way to filter tasks based on their priority. This way it's possible to focus rapidly on what's urgent to do next. When there are many tasks and subtasks, it's better to filter while in "tree view", than having to change to "list view" and sort by priority.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. There should be an option to automatically halt the task activity when the computer is shut down and continue when it is restarted.
    Otherwise, the time field makes little sense to me when it comes to tracking my working activities.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Note: you can already get a functional workaround for this with the idle-time notice in the preferences. It will bring up a pop-up after you come back to the computer that will allow you to stop the task at the time the computer previously shut down and to optionally restart it later.

Keep in mind that many users may want to be able to track something while the computer is idle (to track non-computer tasks), and this feature allows that while an automatic halt does not.

Do you still like want this option for automatic halt, given the existing idle time notice?

Please add any comments below

5. I almost never want a time, but rather just dates. An option to default to "all day" would be good or, as above, just to hide the time that TC adds by default.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As v. 1.3.21, there is a new date/time picker. simply type “s” when choosing date or time for START of day and “e” in the time for END of day. These can be set as defaults in the preferences also, so they’ll only need to be changed if something changes the time. When these times are used, time will be hidden in the task viewer and only date is shown.

This is not a complete solution (see my comments below), but it is a workaround for now.

6. With multiple viewers, give each viewer control over the categories shown.

Other preferences could also be moved to per-view, such as number of days for "due soon", but the category is my main desire.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Right now, a task that is both inactive and due soon is coloured in the due soon colour because it is due soon. I have some tasks (recurring) that I always do on weekends, so I have them start the Saturday and be due the Sunday. I want them to be grey and easy to ignore on week days, but turn due-soon on weekends. However, for the benefit of my other tasks, I would rather have a much longer "due soon" period than just 90 hours; a week or so is preferable, giving me a nice amount of warning for…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Please consider adding a feature to automatically stop recording effort at the end of a normal work day. Thanks :)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?